Monday, November 29, 2010

My Second First Cars Cover!




Well, for most of the run on the Boom! Studios Cars comics we did two covers for each issue, and this was my other cover for the first issue. I actually think it's really cool! Lots of action, and I got to design those two cars in the background. So, right off the bat, I have designed some characters that are in the Cars canon! How cool is that? They are Skull an Flame, #66 and #99, two of McQueen's early racing rivals from when he was an up-and-comer, racing in the monor leagues at the Thunderhill race track. I really, truly hope they decide to make toys of these characters, I would really dig it.

Anyway, Boom! recolored this one as well, because they wanted the colors to more closely match the colors of the interior pages. No hard feelings, that's just the way it is, and I can see their point. Still, I personally prefer my own coloring, although I probably should have used some color holds in those lights in the background. I hadn't quite gotten the hang of color holds at this point, so I just did the best I could and sent it on its way.

Another interesting thing about this one is that I drew it with McQueen breaking the panel border. I knew that he would be trimmed off, and I designed it to be that way, but I wanted to draw ALL of McQueen, just to be sure that I got his proportions correct and everything. And I also think it makes a pretty interesting illustration like that. So here I present that cover, untrimmed and with its original coloring. Please to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment